About the Monastery Bronnbach

According to the legend, when St. Bernard of Clairevaux - a Cistercian abbot from Frankonia - was staying in Wertheim, he predicted that one day a monastery of his order would be founded in the Tauber Valley.
In order to find a suitable location three Frankish noblemen traveled all across the county when, suddenly, three white skylarks arose singing from the woods. It was impossible for those noblemen to ignore such a sign from God. Therefore they gifted "castrum Brunnebach" in 1151.
In 1157 the founding convent moved from the Waldsassen Monastery to the Tauber Valley and monks started to build the church.
Resulting from secularisation the Monastery Bronnbach went into possession of the royal house of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg in 1803.
As a huge number of rooms were not used and the maintenance of all these buildings was a heavy financial burden the princely family had to take, the District of Main-Tauber decided to buy the Monastery in 1984.
Since then the District of Main-Tauber and the Land of Baden-Wuerttemberg draw up comprehensive plans both to restore and revitalize the Bronnbach Monastery.
Since 1993 the research community for technical glass "Forschungsgemeinschaft Technisches Glas e. V." (FtG) and since 1995 the Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research were settled. A branch of the Landesarchiv Baden-Wuerttemberg and the Eigenbetrieb Bronnbach was set-up also. In 2000 monks of the "Missionare der heiligen Familie" moved in. And finally in 2008 the International Convention Centre for Cultural Heritage Preservation IZKK was established.

About Wuerzburg

By 1000 B. C. a Celtic fortification stood on the site of the present Fortress Marienberg. It was Christianized in 686 A. C. by Irish missionaries Kilian, Colman and Totnan who died a martyr.

The first church on the site of the present Würzburg Cathedral was built as early as 788 A.C., and consecrated that same year by Charlemagne. The current building was constructed from 1040 to 1225 A. C. in Romanesque style. Later it became Grand Duchy of Würzburg.

In 1720, the foundation of the Würzburg Residence was laid by the architect of the court of the bishop, Johann Balthasar Neumann. He is one of the most famous Baroque architects. Furthermore the Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo and his son, Domenico, started painting the massive ceiling fresco of the new Recidence palace in 1741. Three years later it was completed. Today it is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

On 8 November 1895 the German physicist Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen produced and detected invisible electromagnetic radiation in the rooms of the University of Würzburg, which were named after him. This achievement earned him the first Nobel Prize in Physics.

During World War II, on 16 March 1945, about 90% of the city was destroyed in 17 minutes by a British air raid. Most of the city's churches, cathedrals, and other monuments did not survive, while the city center, dating from medieval times, was totally destroyed. During the next 20 years, the buildings of historical importance were accurately replicated.

Postwar the institute is established as Max-Planck Institute (MPI) for Silicate Research at Neunerplatz 2 in Würzburg and was ceremonially inaugurated in 1952. Almost 20 years later it is taken over by the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft as the Institute for Silicate Research ISC.

Contact:

Internationales Zentrum für Kulturgüterschutz
und Konservierungsforschung IZKK
Kloster Bronnbach 28
97877 Wertheim

 

Telefon:      +49 (0) 9342 / 9221-701
                     +49 (0) 9342 / 9221-710
Fax:              +49 (0) 9342 / 9221-799
E-Mail:          info@izkk.de
Website:         www.glassac.de
                       www.izkk.de