About the Monastery Bronnbach

According to the legend, when St. Bernard of Clairevaux - a Cistercian abbot from Frankonia - was staying in Wertheim, he predicted that one day a monastery of his order would be founded in the Tauber Valley.

In order to find a suitable location three Frankish noblemen traveled all across the county when, suddenly, three white skylarks arose singing from the woods. It was impossible for those noblemen to ignore such a sign from God. Therefore they gifted "castrum Brunnebach" in 1151.

In 1157 the founding convent moved from the Waldsassen Monastery to the Tauber Valley and monks started to build the church.

Resulting from secularisation the Monastery Bronnbach went into possession of the royal house of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg in 1803.

As a huge number of rooms were not used and the maintenance of all these buildings was a heavy financial burden the princely family had to take, the District of Main-Tauber decided to buy the Monastery in 1986.

Since then the District of Main-Tauber and the Land of Baden-Wuerttemberg draw up comprehensive plans both to restore and revitalize the Monastery Bronnbach.

Since 1993 the Research Community for Technique und Glass e. V. (FtG) and since 1995 the Fraunhofer Institute for Silicat Research ISC are settled in the Monastery Bronnbach.

In 2008 the International Convention Centre for Cultural Heritage Preservation IZKK located there, too.

Contact:

Internationales Zentrum für Kulturgüterschutz
und Konservierungsforschung IZKK
Kloster Bronnbach 28
97877 Wertheim

 

Telefon:      +49 (0) 9342 / 9221-701
                     +49 (0) 9342 / 9221-710
Fax:              +49 (0) 9342 / 9221-799
E-Mail:          info@izkk.de
Website:         www.glassac.de
                       www.izkk.de